In 1882, Leavenworth City and Fort Leavenworth Water Company a privately owned company constructed the first waterworks system in the city. It consisted of 14 miles of water mains, the Pilot Knob Reservoir and a steam powered water treatment plant that was located just north of the current Centennial Bridge.
In 1921 the City of Leavenworth purchased the system but in September 1937 the citizens of Leavenworth voted to separate the water utility from the city government to ensure it would be operated in a business manner. The Governing Board was established, and all water sales revenue was to be used strictly for operating and improving the water system.
The original water treatment plant, Dec. 1938
How We Operate
Our water is pulled from two sources: directly from the Missouri River and a well field southeast of the city. From there, the raw water will be pumped to one of our two water treatment plants where it will be rigorously disinfected and then lime softened to provide you with the best quality of drinking water.
Leavenworth Waterworks currently has 37 employees who work hard to operate the water system efficiently and meet the Board’s goals of quality, abundant drinking water, friendly customer service, and economical water rates. We serve a population of approximately 50,000 and our service area includes the cities of Leavenworth, Lansing (Lan-Del Water District) and six rural water districts.
To provide safe, reliable, high-quality water to our municipal and rural customers with superior service and value.
To set the standard for water utility excellence in terms of water-supply quality, reliability, affordability, regulatory compliance, technology, infrastructure enhancements, customer service, regional cooperation, sustainability, financial stability and management.